Thursday, August 28, 2008

Fish Bone Slivers


A word of caution while eating fish...

One night as I was doing story time before bed and eating Meal #6-Talipia with seasoning salt- I suddenly felt a sharp poking sensation in the very back of my throat. I mean way back there, past the dangly thing. Every time I tried to talk something would jab my tongue as it went back. Oh my goodness!!! I have a fish bone stuck in my throat. Well that sounds normal, but this wasn't just stuck this was like a sliver, it was in the skin. I could stick my finger back and it would poke the end of my finger.
So, naturally I got my emergency preparedness book out and read the rules for getting a fish bone sliver out of the back of your throat.
1- gurgle water- doesn't work
2- keep sticking your finger back there and gagging for 20 minutes- doesn't work
3- If number 2 didn't work have your husband try- hillarious, but didn't work either
4-Tweezers- it was too far back
5-Wait it out- hurt too bad, I couldn't even turn my head, it would jab me.
5-scrape the back of your throat with your finger nail, while gagging, until you get it out. Finally SUCCESS!
After an hour of thinking I would pathetically have to go to the ER for a fish bone sliver, I was relieved of pain and had escaped a pretty embarrassing moment at the ER.
Word to the wise, chew your fish carefully!

2 comments:

T said...

you keep this fish thing up you are going to start smelling like fish.

John S. Shumway said...

Yes I stuck my finger down my wife's throat. And yes I felt the sliver of a fish bone jabbed into her tongue/throat. It was gross. And hilarious.

Teresa, the fish smell is sexy. You should try it and see how Ben responds.