Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Our "Grandpa Jack"

I was told by the previous tenants that he was a grumpy old man. Just to take what he said with a grain of salt and don't be offended. He called himself a "Jack Mormon". So, I was advised to not bring up the church with him.

We passed by each other the first few times, until one day we were getting into our cars at the same time and he introduced himself. McKenna got out of the car and walked right up to him, reached out her arms to give him a hug, he picked her up and that was the beginning of "Grandpa Jack."

He kept us inline on our watering schedule. He gave me a hard time when he noticed I didn't get to the gym first thing in the morning. In the Summer he would be out doing yard work when I got back from the gym at 7am. He gave us a handwritten list of all the new Blue Ray movies he had, so we would come over to borrow them. Every time he got a new movie he would update us. I would never here him knock on the door, so he would finally just open it and come in.

One night Grant and I went over to borrow a movie and we hung out in his movie room for a while. He played the opening ceremony of the Olympics and talked about his high tech movie/TV gadgets.

McKenna and I helped him bring in some grocery's a week before Christmas, his tree was beautiful. We kept trying to bring him some Christmas goodies the week of Christmas but, never found him home.

Last night, his car was parked out front, so I went over to drop off his Christmas goodies. I was saddened, and shocked to learn that he had passed away on December 26th, after spending 10 days in the hospital.

We truly loved our Grandpa Jack. He will be greatly missed.

6 comments:

Christin said...

Oh that story brings tears to my eyes. It's so amazing how children can soften the hearts of anyone.

Christin

The Highland Hill's said...

you know he will probably never forget your kindness...and he will probably continue to be Grandpa Jack instead of Jack Mormon...you guys are a great family...

Lauren said...

So sorry. That is so sad. Losing friends isn't fun.

Ashtyn said...

Aww, my little Jack is named after my own Grandpa Jack. He was the quietest man, but all the grandkids knew that he loved us, even without saying much at all. I'm so sorry.

Grandma - Bear said...

Some of my best friends have been older people.Or people @ church who were on the sidelines.
Unfortunly this happens @ church,I know I'm d/abled, been gossiped about. That why I reach out to others, I treat people like I want to be treated. I've been blessed for it. The Savior told us "to feed his sheep" He didn't say the "popular ones", or the "wealthy ones"
In we listen to the spirit the Lord will guide us to those in need. glograbear

Katie said...

=(